Bishop Murry’s leukemia returns; he’s at Cleveland Clinic for treatment

1 min read
Bishop George V. Murry of Youngstown, Ohio, is pictured Nov. 13, 2017, during the fall general assembly of the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops in Baltimore. The leukemia that Bishop Murry of Youngstown suffered from last year has returned. A diocesan announcement said it is "not as intense as last year, but it needs attention." He is undergoing treatment the Cleveland Clinic. (CNS photo/Bob Roller)

YOUNGSTOWN, Ohio (CNS) — The leukemia that Bishop George V. Murry of Youngstown suffered from last year has returned. It is not as intense as last year, but it needs attention, according to an announcement from the diocese.

Bishop Murry entered the Cleveland Clinic July 3 for a 28-day program of chemotherapy. “The goal will be to prepare him for a bone marrow transplant in September, which his doctors believe is the best way to prevent another occurrence of the cancer,” the diocese said.

During his time in the hospital, diocesan officials are meeting with him weekly to discuss diocesan matters, including Msgr. Robert J. Siffrin, vicar general and moderator of the curia; Msgr. Peter Polando, judicial vicar and director of canonical services; Msgr. John A. Zuraw, chancellor and vicar for pastoral education and services; and Father John Jerek, vicar for clergy.

“The bishop humbly asks that the people of the diocese pray for him and promises his prayers in return,” the diocesan announcement said.

Those wishing to submit a message or offer up a prayer request for Bishop Murry can submit them via email to and “the diocese will collect them all and deliver them to Bishop Murry.”

Previously, he was diagnosed with acute leukemia in April 2018 and was admitted to the Cleveland Clinic, where he received aggressive chemotherapy for a month. After his discharge, he received follow-up treatment and spent time resting and recovering.

When he returned to work in early September, in taking questions from reporters about his health, he thanked all those who supported him and provided his medical care and thanked diocesan leaders and staff.

He also expressed gratitude for all who supported him and said the experience strengthened his faith.

Bishop Murry said he was overwhelmed by the many people “who sent any cards, letters, emails, books, prayer chains, homemade gifts and food,” citing one letter from an 18-year-old and another from a 10-year-old girl who sent a picture of herself and her cat and a $5 bill “to help with your medical expenses.”

“Prayer is powerful. That is what got me through,” he said.

Catholic News Service

Catholic News Service has reported from the Vatican since the founding of its Rome bureau in 1950.